Next100 Deputy Executive Director (Full-Time)
New York, New York | Next100 is seeking a full-time Deputy Executive Director to help lead the organization and advance its mission of changing the face and future of progressive policy. The Deputy Executive Director will report to the Executive Director of Next100, and work to help manage, develop, and grow the Next100 team and impact. Through a commitment to inclusive, effective people and organizational management and growth; a deep understanding of policy research, development, and advocacy; and strong external partnership development, the Deputy Executive Director will help Next100 identify, support, and provide a platform to new progressive policy leaders and ideas. The Deputy Executive Director role is full-time, and based out of our office in New York City.
Next100 is a different kind of think tank, built for a new generation of policy leaders. We seek to break through the inertia that exists in the political and policy world by supporting a diverse cohort of rising policy leaders in developing new, innovative policy solutions and new approaches to making progressive policy change. We recruit, support, and provide a platform to rising policy leaders, or Policy Entrepreneurs, to drive policy change with and for communities. Our website is here; a recent piece in SSIR on our learning and our work is here. We are a project of The Century Foundation.
About the Position
We are looking for a mission-driven leader with experience in public policy research, development, implementation, and/or advocacy, and experience managing a diverse team. The Deputy Executive Director must be excited to manage and support a set of Policy Entrepreneurs (full-time fellows who are with us for two years), manage internal organizational operations and serve as an important external representative of Next100.
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Associate Director, develop and execute a strategic plan for Next100, including impact, fundraising, internal team development, and performance management goals
- Manage and support a set of our Policy Entrepreneurs (full-time fellows who are with us for two years), enabling them to build their policy skills and develop high-quality, impactful policy research, ideas, and advocacy campaigns
- Identify, develop, manage, and evaluate partnerships for Next100 with external organizations
- In partnership with the Executive Director and Associate Director, develop and execute a strategic fundraising plan that ensures Next100 has the resources needed to support its work
- Stay abreast of innovative progressive policy thinking at the state and national level
- Represent the Next100 team at public events that build the organization’s external impact and brand
- Other tasks as required and assigned; we are a small startup, and we all do everything!
- Impatience about creating a stronger, more progressive, and more inclusive society
- At least ten years of professional experience, including prior experience in a leadership or management role
- At least six years experience in policy research, development, implementation and/or advocacy
- Demonstrated experience building and managing diverse teams
- Commitment to building and maintaining a strong, diverse, inclusive, and collaborative team culture, and listening to and elevating marginalized voices internally and externally
- Commitment to supporting the creation of bold, pragmatic, and actionable policy that can influence outcomes
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, supportive, and proactive
- Exceptionally strong communication skills, both written and oral; public speaking experience in a variety of contexts
- Excellent attention to detail
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Next100 is committed to building an organization and team, supporting leaders, and developing policies that embrace diversity, foster an environment of inclusion, and enhance equity. We believe that differences in backgrounds, in experiences, in perspectives, and in identities lead to stronger organizations, stronger teams, and stronger, more effective policy ideas. We value diversity across multiple dimensions, including but not limited to: race, color, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religious belief, disability status, and age.
This is a full-time position based in our New York Office. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package.
Please send (1) your resume and (2) a response to the below three Application Questions to [email protected] with “[Your Name]: Application” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
- Please share why you are interested in this role. (200 words or fewer)
- Please share your philosophy of helping people develop, and include an example of a time in which you coached a young leader. (200 words or fewer)
- Please share an example of a policy project you have led, with a team or alone. (200 words or fewer)